Tuesday, June 21, 2011

ProFusion 2011 in Toronto




This past weekend I spent hours in workshops and walking the exhibition floor at Vistek’s ProFusion event (big industry event featuring camera and video technology/companies and pros). I was pissing myself the whole time wishing I could afford even a fraction of the gear on display, but I kept my wallet in a quiet and lonely place. It blows my mind how much one could spend on gear!


The workshops were a highlight. I took one with pro photographer Seth Resnick. Very cool guy who tells it like it is. Though he gave a somewhat depressing look at the business of photography he was realistic, didn’t shy away from telling us that it’s almost impossible to be successful in the trade, it’s competitive, etc. etc. One thing that stuck with me was his story about his favorite assistant. She passed all his ‘tests’ but during the interview she confessed she had no photography experience, just graduate with an MBA and wanted to study with Seth cause she loved his work. He took her on for six years and she was the best assistant he had. That gave me a glimmer of hope. Me, with no formal training, have a little more hope that I am on the right path because I’m following my heart.


Here are some pics I took at a workshop on flash photography with Mark Cleghorn from the UK. First time I got to use a flash trigger and a beautiful professional model (Joanne Blouin).


No comments:

Post a Comment